Activity of the service
The Service of the Grant Office and Technology Transfer (GOTT) is a service belonging to the Presidency of the Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS, the National Institute of Health in Italy). The mission of GOTT is divided into two areas:
- promotion and coordination of the Institute's participation in research calls funded by national and international bodies
- evaluation and exploitation of intellectual property developed in the framework of research and development programmes
(Regulations on the organization and functioning of the ISS, Italian Official Journal 88-2016, Art 15-b). The mission thus articulated allows to create an efficient system of support to researchers of the ISS for the application and design of national and international calls, promoting competitiveness and the achievement of grants, protecting intellectual property rights and facilitating the exploitation of research results.
To achieve the objectives set, the programming of the GOTT is carried out through the following functions:
- interact with public and private funding sources even in the pre-call phase
- scouting, identification and dissemination of calls for tenders with suitable eligibility criteria for the Institute
- support researchers in the preparation of preliminary documentation to obtain the endorsement of the legal representative of the ISS
- facilitate forms of collaboration between internal structures and encourage the establishment of networking with external partners
- organize training and refresher events for the improvement of project performance: Progetti(IN)formazione
- protection and enhancement of intellectual property deriving from project activities and / or institutional research (patents)
- encourage the creation of new high-tech companies (spin-offs)
GOTT has relations with the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Education, University and Research, the Agency for the Promotion of European Research (APRE) and other governmental and non-governmental bodies.
Gott has stable relations with other STRUCTURES of the ISS, such as the Research Coordination and Support Service (CORI), the External Relations and International Relations Service (PRE-REI), the Projects and Conventions Office (DRUE), the IT Service (DG-INF) and the Knowledge unit (documentation, library) and the Scientific Communication unit.