Director: Dott.ssa Anna Teresa Palamara
phone: (+39) 06 4990 6133/6134
The Department is a centre for research and control of factors that contribute to the prevention, development, therapy and spread of infectious diseases of humans. The Department aims to contribute to the fight against infectious diseases through different professional and specialist knowledge and skills, with a view to multidisciplinary integration among its internal Units.
- studies and combats diseases caused by infectious agents, carrying out all control, diagnosis and counselling activities, as well as surveillance and diagnostic confirmation activities
- carries out and promotes evidence-based research on pathogens, human host responses to infection and therapies
- manages surveillance systems and registers, with the aim of ensuring an active system of systematic collection of personal, health and epidemiological data to record and characterize all cases of health risks of a particular disease and its treatments and outcomes or of a relevant health condition in a defined population
- promotes initiatives aimed at strengthening collaboration between the various entities also through technical tables for the implementation of surveillance
- provides refresher courses and advanced training for operators in the sector (annual workshops, courses, hospitality in the laboratory, distance learning)
- develops recommendations and procedures on advanced diagnostics (such as the use of genomic sequencing)
- studies the immune response to vaccinations, duration of protection and efficacy. The research activities are based on competence, differentiation and disciplinary integration and in accordance with national and international health planning
- integrates the bio-medical approach with the psycho-socio-behavioral one through observational studies aimed at the general population and specific targets
The Department also hosts the National Service of HIV/AIDS/IST counseling AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections Help line – 800.861.061.
The Department is organized in the 7 Units and 3 Structures:
Vaccine-preventable diseases – Reference Laboratories
Director: Dott.ssa Paola Stefanelli
phone: (+39) 06 4990 2126
The Unit has a key role in relation to institutional and research tasks for vaccine-preventable diseases and for the production of essential data for public health, training, technical-scientific advice and for the coordination of networks, both nationally and internationally, through interactions with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).
Surveillance of Invasive Bacterial Diseases
The Unit coordinates the surveillance on invasive bacterial diseases. The documentation related to surveillance can be downloaded by accessing the following link https://www.iss.it/sn-mbi-chi-siamo. The new URL for the insertion of data on the computerized platform of surveillance on invasive bacterial diseases is: https://w3.iss.it/site/mabi/
Antibiotic resistance and special pathogens
Acting Director: Dr. Lanfranco Fattorini
phone: (+39) 06 4990 3167
The Unit carries out institutional and research activities on bacterial and fungal infections of nosocomial, community and zoonotic origin, antibiotic resistance, special pathogens. In addition to coordinating numerous surveillance systems for bacterial infections through networks of microbiology laboratories throughout the country, the Unit performs microbiological diagnosis, control and inspection activities, and provides opinions and certifications.
Acting Director: Dr.ssa Marina Gramiccia
phone: (+39) 06 4990 3015
The Unit carries out autonomous scientific and institutional research in the field of protozoal diseases transmitted by vector arthropods, and regularly collaborates with other Units of the Department in the field of infections by arboviruses, bacteria and/or emerging viruses.
Viral hepatitis and oncovirus and retrovirus diseases
Director: Dr.ssa Anna Rita Ciccaglione
phone: (+39) 06 4990 3259
The Unit deals with the study of hepatitis virus infections (HAV, HBV, HCV, HEV), Retrovirus (HIV-1, HIV-2), Papillomavirus (HPV) and Polyomavirus (HPyV). The research areas concern epidemiology, molecular analysis of viral strains, diagnosis and pathogenesis. Institutional tasks include virological surveillance of acute viral hepatitis; the Unit also works as the National Hepatitis A Reference Laboratory.
Food and neglected parasitosis
Director: Dr. Simone M. Cacciò
phone: (+39) 06 4990 2304
The Unit carries out institutional and research activities in the field of parasitic infectious diseases transmitted by food and neglected infections. It also coordinates the activities of the European Pest Reference Laboratory (EURLP).
Epidemiology, biostatistics and mathematical models
Director: Dr. Patrizio Pezzotti
phone: (+39) 06 4990 3281
The Unit contributes to and supports public health activities aimed at the control and prevention of infectious diseases, both nationally and internationally, through the production of strategic and guidance documents, of scientific evidence, surveillance, epidemiology in the field and training of health workers.
Director: Dr. Roberto Nisini
phone: (+39) 06 4990 2659
The Unit carries out research on the immunological mechanisms underlying susceptibility/protection from infectious diseases and institutional consultancy and expertise activities. In particular, the research aims to generate new approaches for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases characterized by the rapid transferability of results to health care.
AIDS Operations Centre
Director: Dr.ssa Barbara Suligoi
phone: (+39) 06 4990 2755
The Centre directs and coordinates the activities of the National Health System in the fight against AIDS, monitors the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and manages 4 surveillance systems related to HIV, AIDS and STIs. In addition, it conducts and promotes both research and training on HIV, AIDS and STI, in collaboration with governmental and non-governmental organizations, both nationally and internationally.
Psycho-socio-behavioral research, communication, training
Acting Responsible: Dr.ssa Anna Colucci
phone: (+39) 06 4990 2168
The structure is engaged in specific areas closely interconnected, such as psycho-socio-behavioral research, prevention and communication (AIDS and IST help line, United against AIDS), as well as the training and coordination of national networks.
Arbovirus, hantavirus and emerging viruses
Responsible: Dr.ssa Giulietta Venturi
phone: (+39) 06 4990 2663
The Unit, including the National Reference Laboratory for Arboviruses, has been engaged for many years on various aspects related to the research, diagnosis and microbiological surveillance of viruses transmitted by both native and possible imported arthropods.