Grant office and technology transfer - ISS (EN)
Grant office and technology transfer
The Grant office and technology transfer (GOTT) is the technical scientific service within the Presidency of the Italian National Institute of Health (Istituto Superiore di Sanità, ISS).
The mission of the GOTT comprises two areas:
- promotion and coordination of the participation of the Institute in research calls that are funded by national and international public and private bodies
- evaluation and enhancement of the intellectual property (IP) produced through the research and development (R&D) programs.
(ISS organization and functioning regulations, G.U. 88-2016, Art 15-b).
The activities related to the mission aim at:
- providing an efficient and effective support system to the researchers of the ISS who apply to national and international calls, at both research project design and submission of the proposal;
- stimulating competitiveness to increase the grant success rate for ISS, protecting intellectual property rights and facilitating exploitation of research results.
In order to achieve the expected objectives, GOTT’s programme of activities includes the the following functions:
- interacting with public and private funding institutions and agencies even at an early phase, namely at the stage preceeding the official launch of the call of proposal (pre-call);
- scouting of the funding institutions aimed at the identification and disseminate of the call of proposals whose eligibility criteria are met by ISS;
- providing support to researchers during the preparation of the preliminary documentation required to obtain the endorsement of the legal representative of the ISS (the President);
- facilitating collaboration among departments centres of the ISS and encouraging the establishment of networking with external partners;
- organizing training and updating courses for the improvement of the performance of the proposed projects: the initiative Projects (IN) training (Progetti(IN)formazione).
- protecting and enhancing the intellectual property (IP) derived during the implementation of research project and / or institutional research activities (patents);
- encouraging the creation of new high-tech companies (spin-off).
GOTT has relationships with the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, University and Research, and with the Agency for the Promotion of European Research (APRE) and other governmental and non-governmental organizations.
GOTT has constant relationship with other ISS components as the Research Coordination and Support Service (CORI), the External Relations and International Relationships Service (PRE-REI), the Projects and Agreements Office (DRUE), the Informatics Service (DG-INF) and the Knowledge and Communication Service.